Wednesday 20 July 2011

Cinema Memories (Part 1)

Hello there peeps :-), it's been a while ( in fact too long LOL ) since I last wrote on here. Well I thought I would share my memories of why I love going to the cinema and the cinema's I have been to. It is a fun going back down memory lane and remembering what cinemas I have been to ( a lot hence why it's split in 2 parts ) and what I saw at them. Anyway here we go.

THE CANNON CINEMA CHATHAM




1st Film Seen Here
Pinocchio ( when I was about 5 or 6 in about 1986 )

Last Film Seen Here
The Aristocats ( a year later I think which was about 1987)

Memories
I can't really remember a lot cause I was really young. But I can remember it being really big, with a massive foyer, I think it had 3 screens. I know to get to the screen there was a big hallway. I know when I went to see  one of the films they had the American Football Weetabix advert and the Kia Ora advert oh and of course Pearl and Dean and I think trailers for Police Academy 4 and The Living Daylights on one of the films I saw. I  wish I saw more films here and it was really nice recently to find out the history of that cinema and photos which brought back memories of going there.

THE LONSDALE CINEMA CARLISLE


1st Film Seen Here
Honey I shrunk the Kids (1989)

Last Film Seen Here
The Matrix (1999)

Memories
I have a lot of fantastic memories of going to see films at the Lonsdale in Carlisle. Nearly all the films I saw in my teenage years I saw here. I went to see my 1st 15 movie here when I was 14 ( Judge Dredd ), I saw all the Star Wars Special Editions here in 1997. I also remember seeing Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Con Air, Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves, Beauty and The Beast, All 3 Turtles movies ( the 1st one we went to see on my birthday), Fever Pitch, Snow White, Space Jam and some others which I can't remember off the top of my head.
It was a really nice cinema that was like the tardis. It had a long hall way that led to 2 big screens and 1 small one. Then in the mid 90s they turned the old post office building into 2 extra screens which they called the City Cinema. My memories of that was having to go and see the Power Rangers movie cause my brother wanted to see it and my dad falling asleep watching it LOL.
I remember the local adverts they used to show when I 1st went that included a crudely drawn animation for a local video shop. Sadly the older I got the more they where faded out which is a shame cause they add something to the cinema experience in my mind.
One thing I loved about seeing a film at the Lonsdale was the welcome to the snack bar trailer they showed before the film it was so out of the mid eighties but so brilliant at the same time. In fact most of the trailer things they showed before the film where cheesy but brilliant.
The last thing I can remember about the Lonsdale was when I went to visit my mate for a few days and we went to see the Matrix and it was packed out. The trailers had just finished and the curtain was starting to come over the screen when someone decided to fart so loudly and everyone burst out in laughter.
Sadly the Lonsdale closed in 2007 because it lost business to the Warner Village/ Vue cinema which opened in a redeveloped part of Carlisle in the year 2000. It's such a shame cause it was a really nice independent cinema that had a lot of charm. I like independent cinemas cause they have a lot of charm most multi-plex's don't have.

Anyway I will continue with my cinema memories in the next few days, so stayed tuned......... :-)............

No comments:

Post a Comment